CS777 Project 3
The idea of this project is to do a "mini" "research"
project. Since there's only 4/5 weeks, you can't do much. The important
part is for you to choose some area of computer animation, read some papers,
and try something out.
For this project, you must:
- Do a literature search and create a bibliography of the recent, relevant
literature. You don't have to read all of the papers, but you should
identify what you would need to read if you were doing this project
As a special piece of this, you must look through the past 2 years of
the proceedings of SCA (the symposium on computer animation) , and the
past 3 years of SIGGRAPH and look to see what kinds of topics are even
somewhat related to your project. (plus, you should dig deeper to find
"all" papers directly related).
- Read 4-5 papers on the topic and summarize them. I will help you identify
1-3 papers that are really important. You must pick at least 2 more.
- Design and propose a small implementation project that will help you
understand the topic. The idea is to implement a basic algorithm from
a paper or perform some test to understand a method, not to develop
some new thing. The key is to come up with something that you can actually
do in 3 weeks!
- Do the implementation project.
- Present the topic to the class (your presentation should show off
what you did for your implementation part, but also must serve as a
tutorial for others in the class (so you should review the key points
from the papers).
Some topic ideas:
- Video textures
- High-resolution matting
- Rigid body dynamics and collisions
- Mesh Morphing (ARAP and MAPS)
- Animating hands
- Fire and Explosions
The Deadlines and Milestones...
- Monday, April 12: Project Proposals
- You will meet with me (each group independently) and tell me what
you want to do. We will work out a plan, and I will help you pick the
- Monday April 19: Project Plans
- You will create a written plan, detailing what you are going to do
for the project.
- Monday April 26: Status Reports
- We will have an in-class discussion of everyone's project
- Monday-Friday, May 3-7: Project Presentations
- Each group will give their presentation in class. Exact times to be
- Monday, May 10: Final Projects Due
- All written documentation must be placed on the web site.
What to turn in...
On or before 5pm, Monday May 10th, 2004: you should place into your handin
directory (which is in /p/course/cs777-gleicher/public/html/P3):
- A web page describing your project (that links to everything below).
Please put each of the discussions as a seperate web page. Acrobat files
are fine for everything except for the top-level page.
- A zip file of the binaries of anything you built
- A zip file of the source code of anything you built
- Pictures of what you've done
- Summaries of the papers that you've read, including a discussion of
how the papers relate.
- A discussion of what you actually got accomplished, and how hard it
was to do. What would you have done differently? What would you do with
an extra 3 weeks? What did you learn?
- A discussion of how to make a CS777 project on the topic. Basically,
suppose that I was going to assign a project on your topic next year.
What should I assign? (be as specific as you can - pretend you were
making the web page assigning the project. this is good practice for
you if you think you might be a professor someday)
For Tuesday's presentation (1:30pm in 2310) you should:
- Give an overview of the problem
- Give a summary of the papers that you've read
- Describe your project (what you've implemented)
- Show stuff off
You should put all presentation materials (movies (encode with DiVX or
Microsoft MPEG-4), power point, binaries, ...) into your web directory.
Both to download them to my laptop as well as to leave them there for
others to look at. They need to be there at 1pm on Tuesday.
You can bring your own laptop to give a presentation/demo. You may also
use the computer in the 2310 podium, however, it is your responsibility
to make sure things work. (beware - its a pretty slow computer, unless
they've upgraded it recently). Or you can use my laptop.
I will be available in my office at 1pm so that you can copy things on
to my laptop. You need to arrange to get the files on my laptop before