(Apologies for repeated posting. An error was corrected from the position ad posted on October 17.)
One PhD student is sought to join the data management team of an NSF-funded project entitled Using Big Data approaches to assess ecohydrological resilience across scales at the University of Vermont in Burlington, Vermont, USA. The student will join a cohort of seven PhD students and one postdoc recruited into the project team (called the Big Data cluster).
Responsibilities of the data management team include:
- Providing data management to enable research of the Big Data cluster.
- Sharing data and models with other thematic clusters through the Hub CUAHSI. . (The Hub is a team coordinating among nine different thematic clusters for data/model integration, sharing, and categorization.)
- Solving relevant data management research problems
The PhD student will play a key role as a data management team member, and conduct research on topics identified in the context of the Big Data cluster team project. The work will be done in a large interdisciplinary team, and this will provide excellent opportunities to combine the work with its applications in ecological and earth science.
- Master (preferred) or Bachelor degree in computer science, data science, information science, machine learning, or related subject area.
- Experiences in data repositories and databases.
- Good programming skills.
- Proficiency in English (written and verbal).
- Admission: Fall 2021 (start as early as June 1, 2021).
- Financial support: graduate research assistantship (GRA).
- Application deadline: January 15, 2021 for Computer Science PhD; February 15, 2021 for Complex Systems & Data Science. Application review will start soon after the deadline; applications will be accepted for consideration until the position is filled.
- Byung S. Lee, Ph.D., Professor of Computer Science, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donna M. Rizzo, Ph.D., Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering, email@example.com.
- Scott D. Hamshaw, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For inquiries about this position, please email to Byung S. Lee as the main contact.
A PDF version of this position ad is available at the link below.