Goal-Oriented Privacy Preservation
This is a newly funded NSF Cybertrust
project, carried out with David DeWitt and Jude Shavlik in CS, Larry
Hanrahan (Chief Epidemiologist, State of Wisconsin), and Amy
Trentham-Dietz (Population Health Sciences). Sophisticated data analysis
and mining techniques are necessary tools for understanding complex
datasets in an increasing number of application domains, including
bioinformatics, health care, e-commerce, fraud detection, network
attacks, and homeland security. The increasing use of these techniques
has also created a heightened awareness of their potential for
compromising privacy, and the challenge of controlling data access in
accordance with privacy policies while enabling useful analysis has
emerged as a central and ubiquitous problem. To meet this challenge, we
need to go well beyond traditional access-control strategies because
analysis and mining techniques can potentially be applied to published
data to infer data that is intended to be private. We are investigating
the trade-off between privacy and security guarantees and the utility of
the published data for specific analysis tasks; we call this
goal-oriented privacy preservation.
This project is funded by NSF Cybertrust project.
Lawrence Hanrahan (Chief Epidemiologist for the State of Wisconsin)
Amy Trentham-Dietz (Population Health Sciences, UW-Madison)
David J. DeWitt (Computer Sciences, UW-Madison)
Raghu Ramakrishnan (Computer Sciences, UW-Madison)
Jude W. Shavlik (Computer Sciences, UW-Madison)
Kristen LeFevre (Computer Sciences, UW-Madison)
Bee-Chung Chen (Computer Sciences, UW-Madison)
- Kristen LeFevre, Rakesh Agrawal, Vuk Ercegovac, Raghu Ramakrishnan, Yirong Xu, David J. DeWitt. Limiting Disclosure in Hippocratic Databases. VLDB 2004.
- Kristen LeFevre, David J. DeWitt, Raghu Ramakrishnan. Incognito: Efficient Full-Domain K-Anonymity. SIGMOD Conference 2005.
- Bee-Chung Chen, Lei Chen, Yi Lin, Raghu Ramakrishnan. Prediction Cubes. VLDB 2005.
- Bee-Chung Chen, Lei Chen, David R. Musicant, Raghu Ramakrishnan. Learning from Aggregate Views. ICDE 2006.
- Kristen LeFevre, David J. DeWitt, Raghu Ramakrishnan. Mondrian Multidimensional K-Anonymity. ICDE 2006.